We have just released a new version of Ulysses. With it comes a switch to a subscription model, which unlocks Ulysses on all devices. As an existing user, you are eligible for a lifetime discount, and, if you have just recently purchased Ulysses, we are offering free-use periods to compensate for your previous investment.
As of today, we’re changing Ulysses’ payment model. It’s still the same Ulysses, same features, same distribution, we’re just switching to subscription. For $4.99 per month or just $39.99 per year, you can now use Ulysses on all your Macs, iPads and iPhones, including sync. You no longer need to buy two separate versions for either platform – from now on, it’s just Ulysses, and you can use it wherever you want.
Some of you may be surprised by this step, but it’s the result of a long-lasting discussion about how to put Ulysses’ development, and the future of our company, on a sustainable foundation. Please check out Max’ detailed take for lots of background on this issue.
This post will try to answer some of the more pressing questions.
1. What are the main benefits of the new model?
Here’s a list:
- We can finally offer a free, cross-platform trial. Ulysses can now be downloaded and fully tested for 14 days, on all devices, including sync, no price or strings attached. After 14 days, the app will switch into read-only mode, with export still enabled.
- A single purchase will now unlock Ulysses for the use on all devices. Ulysses has always been a single product, with the availability of all texts on all devices being one of its major features. Still, we had to sell Ulysses separately for Mac and for iOS, and we’re really happy that this barrier could be lifted.
- Ulysses is a premium app, and its price tag will always reflect that. The new model now offers a low entry threshold combined with high flexibility and the option of minimal commitment. The monthly subscription comes at only $4.99 – that’s pretty much a coffee to go. You can subscribe for as long as you need, and you will always have the latest version, with the newest features and bugfixes.
- Plus, we are now much more flexible when it comes to pricing. As an example, we now grant a dedicated discount for students: If this applies to you, you can get Ulysses for only $11.99 per six months.
2. I previously purchased Ulysses. How do I subscribe? Do I get a discount?
Yes. We are offering all our current customers a lifetime discount on Ulysses’ yearly plan. That really means all of you, whether you bought just now or have been humming along for the past several years. This is, however, a time-limited offer. Consider it a welcome deal, a way to thank those who quickly come on board.
Now, if you just recently purchased Ulysses, say, in the past couple of months or so, you may be especially curious about… compensation, probably. And so we let you claim a free-use period of up to 18 months, depending on when you bought, which version you bought and so on. 1
3. Ok, but what happens with the current… now old… versions of Ulysses?
The previous, single-purchase versions of Ulysses have both been removed from sale. They remain fully functional, of course, and we have even updated both versions for High Sierra and iOS 11 respectively. So, if you decide to keep using the “old” Ulysses, you should not encounter any problem. New features, however, will only be added to the subscription version in the future.
And that’s a wrap.
Thanks for your ongoing support, and happy writing! Exciting times ahead…
- Recent purchases of the Mac app will unlock up to 12 months of free use, and purchases of the iOS app will unlock up to 6 months of free use. Your individual free-use duration is calculated from your actual purchase date, respectively, and if you bought Ulysses on both platforms, we will add together both periods. Have fun! ↩